Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born.

-Dale Turner-

Friday, December 11, 2009

Friendster: A Changing Social Network

From the very title of this post, you might already have an idea on what it's all about. Indeed, there is only one constant thing on earth, and that is change. If you don't believe in this, well, I won't force you for you are entitled to your own opinion.


If you are a fan of social networking sites, you must be familiar of friendster. Though it did not rank 1st on any surveys nor reviews conducted before December of this year, still it is used by many social-network users.

I only started engaging myself into social networking sites when I was in college, and the main reason for this was, to keep in touch with my high school friends (as well as to new found ones) and of course, to go with the flow.

Few weeks ago, I decided to open my friendster account after not updating it for almost a month. I got myself too hooked-up with facebook that I almost forgot my password. And, I got so surprise when I saw green. Yes, friendster has turned from blue to green. It's not only that the color has changed, but also the lay-out and some of its settings and features.


 


Friendster is starting to employ some fun features in the page making it more appealing to its users. Not to mention its new page color which appers to be so relaxing (my personal opinion). More games, easy shout-out updates, and friendster wallet  are only few of the many new features incorporated in the account. And guess what made me more surprised? The popular farmville or may be farmtown in facebook now has a friendster counterpart. The application's name is The Farmer (I haven't tried it yet, but I'll try one of these days). I won't be surprise if one day, there will be cafe world or fishville - the friendster version.

Those changes which friendster had started to make in their site only showed that, social networking sites also evolve into something better. Changes are not only made for the sake of competition but with the goal of having more users o sign-up and encourage those who are already in the network to stay. And of course, the marketing side of the story - the more users you'll have, the more advertisers will find their way to you since you have their targets.


Got to go. Need to check out my friendster account and find out more about the new things it could offer... I'll get back as soon as I can. ;-)


1 comments:

Joven Suobiron said...

WTF! Friendster's a copycat ever since... no wonder it is never seen in the list of most trafficked sites... it's only popular in the Philippines although that so-called popularity has been deteriorating already....

glad u wrote about this post... i might as well go open my friendster account.